Re: MGB brakes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB brakes
From: daneli@umich.edu (Daniel Greenberg)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:44:42 -0400 (EDT)
>       Does anyone know the secret to getting the spring c clips on the
>back of the brake cylinders? It too me 2 hours to put 2 new cylinders on.
>Using every tool known to man kind as well as every word. I know it can't
>take that long but...
>..Art

Art,

There was a useful tip on this in Moss Motoring some time back.

The c-clip is easy to install if the wheel cylinder itself can be held
stationary during the procedure.  This can be accomplished by clamping a
vice grip wrench to the bottom of the axle flange with the wheel and brake
drum removed.  The vice grip can be located such that once clamped to the
axle flange, the head of the wrench presses the wheel cylinder against the
brake backing plate.  Held in this stationary position, first one end, and
then the middle flange of the c-clip can be pressed into the slot in the
wheel cylinder.  The third flange of the c-clip can then be pried into
position with a screwdriver.  (It may help some to bend the third flange up
a bit with a pair of pliers *before* starting to press any of the flanges
into place.)  Finally, use the screwdriver and a hammer to ensure that the
c-clip is firmly seated all the way into the wheel cylinder slot.

Without the vice grip trick there is a real risk that the wheel cylinder
will be ejected at high speed from the mechanic's hand before the procedure
can be brought to a successful conclusion!

Dan Greenberg
Ann Arbor, MI
71B