Chroming Prices

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Chroming Prices
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 22:10:03 -0600 (MDT)
I'm getting these pieces from the TD re-chromed at the local chrome shop:

        2 - headlight rims
        2 - cowl brackets (holds the windscreen up)
        2 - seat back brackets
        2 - wheel arch retaining brackets
        2 - wing nuts

This is costing $180. Is this reasonable? Was chrome plating always this
expensive, or is this the doing of our arch enemy the EPA? Well, I quess I
shouldn't complain. A quick check of the catalogs shows it would cost far
more to replace these parts.

BTW, where has the chrome gone on new cars? Nary a glimmer to be seen. Is this
a styling thing or a cost thing?

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
52 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB still in shop, 19 months and counting