RE: Jag cars for sale list

To: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Subject: RE: Jag cars for sale list
From: "Mike Brecher" <futrclas@dallas.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 06:55:29 -0600
> Date:          Sat, 26 Jul 97 04:43:15 UT
> From:          "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
> To:            "Mike Brecher" <futrclas@dallas.net>,
>                "Mike Brecher"
>                <futrclas@dallas.net>, dmeadow@juno.com
> Cc:            mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject:       RE: Jag cars for sale list

> I had an 84 XJ6 for about 6 years.  Loved it but had to get rid of it when
>the
> kid count was passing the "pair" stage. But I'm a bit curious regarding the
> use of a different engine.  What's wrong with the unit originally
>installed???
>  Am I missing something here or is this just putzing around with the XJ6 to
> get something more???
>
> BTW, did you know that the sidelights on the 71-74 MG are the exact same as
> the sidelights on the 80-84 XJ6 (years are approximate).  They just cost a
>lot
> more if you get them from Jaguar!!!!!
>
> Dr. Doug

Doug,
The only things really wrong with the 6 cyl. Jag engine are the cost
of repair/rebuild and the relatively low output for a large and heavy
car.  I'm not saying that the Jag engine is a dog, but that the
chassis is well suited for 300-350 hp.  I guess that you have to
drive one to appreciate how much better the car can be with some
added hp.
If you have a XJ12 or XJS with a dead player under the hood, the
rebuild labor alone will cost over $3000.  That same money would buy
the John's Cars OSD kit, and likely a good donor car for the
engine/transmission.
The one car that we've done (two more waiting) got a new crate motor,
a street cam and a Edelbrock Torquer manifold along with a lockup
convertor for the TH350 transmission.  I personally feel that a stock
engine in the 275hp range along with an overdrive automatic would be
the best combination to use in a sedan.
ramble, ramble, ramble......

Mike

Future Classics Auto Sales