Re: The old hotfoot routine

To: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Subject: Re: The old hotfoot routine
From: Allen Williams <ajwillia@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:29:16 -0700
Matt Kulka wrote:

> Looking for any excuse to spend time with our hair flapping in the wind,
> my daughter and I are planning a trip from Charlotte (NC) to Chicago in
> a couple of weeks in our '74 B.  The car's in reasonable shape, and once
> I've replaced the clutch I'm nearly sure we'll make it without
> automotive incident.  (I just keep repeating the word "adventure.")
> However I get a *lot* of heat through the firewall and/or trans tunnel
> in this car, and if the weather doesn't break, that may make the 13-hour
> trip a little less joyful.  I'm sure with this current heat wave, there
> are a lot of east coast Americans wondering this same thing:
>
> Can anyone tell me what causes so much heat to be absorbed by the
> passenger compartment?  Further, (and more importantly) what have people
> successfully done to decrease the effect?
>
> (And I do have a chunk of 4" dryer vent hose in the garage, but I really
> hope I don't have to go that route.  Carol, did the TR3 driver use an
> actual dryer vent to hold the hose on the right side of the windshield?)
>
> Thanks in advance (about 18 degrees worth).
>
> Matt Kulka
> '74 B - rotisserie optional.
I bought and installed the aluminum coated felt insulation sold by J. C.
Whitney for about $25/roll. It made a substantial difference in the
amount of heat coming into the car. Also, check all the grommets on the
firewall and the gasket under the plate that the fuel vapor cannister
mounts. That ought to keep under 100 degrees in the footwell. Good Luck
on your adventure!