Re: Wire Wheels: Reconsideration

To: rdonahue@holli.com
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels: Reconsideration
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:31:24 EDT
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:02:53 -0600 (MDT) rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J.
Donahue) writes:
>Admit it! We all want wire wheels. We only talk about
>the virtues of solid wheels when we can't afford wires.
>
>Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
>rdonahue@holli.com
>52 MG-TD #17639 under DIY restoration, NEMGTR #11470
>71 MGB still in shop, 19 months and counting

 Nope. Cant admit to that. If you throw a car around as much as I do,
wires are definitely out. There's no way they are as strong or rigid as a
set of Rostyles, for example.
  I know, the factories and works cars ran wires for competition for
years.  Primarily because of weight, and the speed of tyre changes with
the knock offs.  But if you'll look carefully, you find that the more
powerful/faster cars of that era (Jag D-type) for example, used a solid
steel wheel with knock offs.  Reckon those ol' boys knew something?
  Now, before I get flamed, I'll be the first to admit that probably
nothing looks better on an LBC than Wires, especially pre-war and early
post-war models.  Like someone said earlier, "nothing is more English
than wire wheels"
  And It ain' sour grapes. I've got a complete wire setup in my shop,
rear axle, front suspension (complete with cross-member). The only thing
missing is the wire wheels themselves.  The goodies came with a parts car
I bought, and I sold the wheels within 12 hours to a fellow club member
who needed them, for about 25% more than I paid for the whole car!  The
only reason I've hung onto the rest is I may install knock-off mini lites
on my 72 and will need it for the conversion.
        Just my £.02 worth
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget