Re: Wire Wheels: Reconsideration

To: "Kevin Sullivan" <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>,
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels: Reconsideration
From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:02:42 -0400

----------
> From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
> To: Matt Liggett <mliggett@bluemarble.net>
> Cc: MG Mavens <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Wire Wheels: Reconsideration
> Date: Tuesday, July 29, 1997 1:05 PM
>

> On 29 Jul 1997, Matt Liggett wrote:
>
> > rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue) writes:
> > > Admit it! We all want wire wheels. We only talk about the virtues of
> > > solid wheels when we can't afford wires.
> >
> > Err, no.  I have wires on my Midget (along with 5 spares!) and can't
> > wait to switch to bolt-ons.  My wife has another opinion, but it's
> > rooted mostly in aesthetics.
>
> On that subject, what does one do with all the extra old wheels?  I've
got
> six (probably two are worth keeping as spares) taking up space in my
> garage, since I just bought four new ones.  I was thinking of making some
> sort of garden hose reel type thing out of one.  Anyone have any other
> ideas?

        How about putting together some type of small utility trailer, possibly
using an old wire wheel rear end as an axle, welded up to some type of leaf
springs for suspension. You could use wire wheels which may not be
acceptable safteywise for use on your car. Being a Midget owner (with steel
wheels)
myself, I have often wished for some way to carry  camping equipment, a
canoe, parts,
etc....... Picture a trailer with a fiberglass body, paint job matching the
car, with matching wheels, and not having to make your wife carry the
cooler in her lap when you go to an event.

                                        Mike Ellsworth