Wide tires on stock Spridget wheels

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wide tires on stock Spridget wheels
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 12:51:09 -0700 (PDT)
I am always on the hunt for information on what size (and brand) rims and
tires fit the square wheelarch Spridget.  Clearance in the rear is very
limited, on the outside of the tire is the wheelarch, on the inside the
leaf spring.
What seems to definitely fit is the Minilite lookalike (that should be
_one_ word: Minilitelookalike...:) 5x13 as sold by Moss and Vic. Brit.
with 165/70 tires.  I am not sure if 175/70s would work with this rim.

A place in FL called Racing Wheel Service (or something like that - they
adv. in GRM) claims that Revolution 5.5x13 with 185/60 fit.  This is my
favorite combination and I love the look of the 4spoke Revos, but I am
very sceptical that this will fit.

Now, last night I saw a 66 Sprite with the stock (early, with
hubcaps) 3.5x13 steel rims with 175/70 tires on it!!
It didn't look too bubbly but it was hard to tell since he had chrome trim
rings on the rims.  There was a fair amount of clearance on the outside
and I could almost stick my finger between the tire and the leaf spring :)

This says that it should be pretty safe clearance-wise to mount 165/70s on
the stock rims, but how would it drive?
Has anyone tried this?

Any other intelligence to add?
Any other ideas with regards to alloy wheels?

                                                           '67 Sprite