Re: The Calling

To: Rick Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Subject: Re: The Calling
From: gkirk@e2.empirenet.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:49:50 -0700 (PDT)
the likely hood of the death of the private automobile is pretty low, at
least in the near term (i.e anytihg in the nxt 50 years).  I tend to
agree with Marcus on this one, there is a HUGE automiblie infrastructure
in place, and to repalce the cars we are all so used to driving, will
require a massive shift in the allocation of resources, and the Govt' is
in no position to spend that kind of money these days.  In fact, the one
thing that I see going on is the "inteligent vehicle/intelligent highway"
concept, to improve the efficiency of private auto transportation
systems.  there are at least three test projects going that I know of.

Suburbia is just not viable without private cars, and folks, suburbia is
where the voters live.  Business parks are useless without private cars,
as are shopping malls.  We may see a push to electric vehicles, and
alternative fuels, but the disapearance of the private car is a long long
way off.  Not until the shopping malls and business owners loose ther
voice at the political table.  The Science fiction pundits, and the computer
industry
press like to tell us about how we will all live in the country and
telelcommute to work at jobs halfway around the world.  Well I'll beleiv
it when I see it, because already in many companies we are seeing a
backlash against telecommuting.  People don;t wnat ot do it because it
cuts them out of the social environment at work, and they get reduced
recognition for thier accomplishments, i.e lower riases and fewer promotions.

telecommuting forgot one major thing, work isn;t only about getting a
taks done, it's also a scial activity, and that part cannot be repalced
by any amount of fancy electronics, lucas or otherwise. (had to get some
LBC content in here after all)

Greg