Re: The Calling

To: rfeibusch@loop.com, donmathis@lucent.com
Subject: Re: The Calling
From: MLishego@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 01:15:34 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-29 15:34:12 EDT, rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
writes:

> >Rick,
>  >One of the prime responsibilities of a journalist is to Really make sure
> you
>  >have your facts straight.  What state are you referring to?  I heard the
>  >same rumors about N.J. and it wasn't true.  We still have the concept of
>  >"private property".  I think it was Jefferson that said there can be no
>  >democracy without private property.  I don't think there is anywhere in
the
>  >U.S. that your property can be impounded unless it is associated with the
>  >sale of illegal drugs.  I enjoyed your writing but I'm having trouble
>  >separating the fact from opinion.
>  >Cheers-Don Mathis <donmathis@lucent.com>
>
>  Don,
>  The State is California and the municipality is San Pablo in a recent
>  situation.  A few years ago a friend in San Jose was sued by the city to
>  remove the 16 Morris Minors AND all of his spare parts from his backyard.
>  They won and he lost.  If he hadn't sold off or stored what he wanted to
>  keep OFF of his property by a particular deadline, the city would have
>  hauled it away and sold it as scrap, deducted the scrap value from the
cost
>  of removal and billed him for the difference.  This was all due to a real
>  estate agent who was selling a house on the next street and felt that it
>  was the reason the house wasn't selling.
>
>  One of my other jobs is as an appraiser for the Peterson Automotive
Museum.
>  I also free-lance. I have been called in to a number of court cases
>  involving abated cars & parts in both Orange and Riverside Counties where
>  the city was abated an "eyesore" and sold "valuable" cars for scrap.
>  Sometimes I'm called in after the fact and have to testify using videos of
>  the stuff before abatment. Most of this stuff is junk and how do you value
>  a four foot tall pile of "rare" mixed exhaust manifolds?  But I've also
>  seen a '56 Chevy and most of a Bugeye sent to the scrappers. Now we all
>  know that with the California lien sale laws, the scrappers eventually
sold
>  these cars back into the system, BUT the law allowed the cars to be abated
>  in the first place. There are public nusence and public health laws
already
>  on the books in most communities that are not being enforced because there
>  is no community action to cause them to - YET. This is not a state law
like
>  the smog laws.  These are a number of local ordinances, some more severe
>  than others. To blow this off as opinion or rabble rousing is to ignore
the
>  future. Alot of the stuff I've examined IS junk and most of these people
>  SHOULD be ashamed of themselves to have such messes. BUT, who determines
>  what a mess is since it is not defined within these laws? Is ten broken
>  cars and a ton of parts too much or is two complete but not running or
>  registered MGBs and a Sprite ribcase too much?  See you on the Funway! -
>  Rick Feibusch, Venice, CA

I can say that Rick is right, also outside of Cali.  In Daytona Beach, FL,
there is a law that prohibits any vehicle without a valid lisence plate or
inspection from being in view from the road for more than one day.  First
offense is a penalty, second is towing.  There is also something about a
vehicle and it's ability to fit into a garage, but I might be wrong on that.
 Anyone live near Daytona that might know specifics want to clue me in?
  When I bought my first 'B, we had to push it into the guy's garage
overnight to keep from getting a ticket.
~Mike Lishego