Re: List Wisdom:HT/Aux Lamps

To: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com>
Subject: Re: List Wisdom:HT/Aux Lamps
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 20:48:41 -0500
Terry:

I recommend that you use a relay to supply power to your driving
lights.  My favorite way is to use the High Beam lead to supply power to
the coil of a relay mounted close to the driving lights, like behind the
grill.  Then I bring the other relay coil lead inside the car to a
switch that completes the circuit to ground.  You can use small wire
(#18 or so) for this lead as there will be a very small load on it.
This will only allow you to turn on the driving lights when the head
lights are on bright.  Next I run a heavy (#8 or #10) wire from the
battery + to a circuit breaker or fuse (30 AMP) mounted close to the
battery, and then to the relay switch contacts. Next run another wire to
the driving lights from the other switch contact on the relay.  By doing
this your driving lights will dim with your High Beams, and there is
only the small load on the switch in the dash.  As an added benefit
there will be a shorter wire run and less voltage drop, hence brighter
lights.  Bosh makes a good relay for this application and is about $5 at
most parts stores.

Mark
70 Midget (still looking for Lucas Ranger reflectors LR8's)
Nashville