Re: No key, no go....

To: MGBnc@aol.com
Subject: Re: No key, no go....
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:12:18 -0400
MGBnc@aol.com wrote:

> I have a friend with a 76B who has lost their keys.  Short of replacing
> ignition switch, glove box, trunk.......what is the process to get new keys.

Call a locksmith who can make you a key by a method called
"impressioning".  Get someone who knows what they're doing.  This is
_definitely_ one of those times where you don't want to take a chance of
hiring somebody who'll screw it up by _not_ knowing what he's doing.

I don't know what part of the country you're in but just as a guage, I
live in Baltimore and I would charge (Joe Schmoe off the street) $ 40 to
do the ignition, and $20 a piece to do the glove box and the door/trunk,
not counting the service charge ($40).  My prices for the area are a
little above the average.

Shop around for a price.  Ask each locksmith if they know much about
British cars.  From the ones who do, (at least a field of five or six),
choose the one closest to the average price _average_ price.  DO NOT GO
WITH THE LOWEST BIDDER!!!

If you have a way to get it to the locksmith on your own, (tow
truck/trailer) it will save you the service charge.

>  Isn't there a specific code he can use for a locksmith to make new keys.  If
> so, how does he find the code.  As for any paperwork or documentation, other
> than title......I know he ain't go it.  So, is there some kind of
> identification on the car that will solve this mystery?

I do know that the key code was originally on a sticker attached to the
windscreen.  I've also **heard** that they **sometimes** had a sticker
or paper tag attached to/or near the ignition lock. I've even **heard**
of an extra key being hidden somewhere on the vehicle.

Bobby
--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *