Crankcase hose routing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Crankcase hose routing
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 00:44:27 +0000
> >  In a pamphlet from Brit-Tek, they recommend
> > running the crankcase breather into the airflow under the car, so that the
> > speed of the car will 'scavenge' (?) the gases from the block.  I can
> > understand how this will work, but is there a better place for me to stick
>it
>
> Used to be called a down draft tube, in old Ford speak. Usually it should
> be routed to the air cleaner or the intake manifold. Any place it can
> be sucked into the engine. If you have a choice between the two, choose
> intake manifold, as it's better to try to keep the carb clean from any
> oil blow by.

Personally, If I have this mixture of burned/unburned fuel vapors and
oil mist, and I have the choice between routing it down into the
airstream under the car or back into the intake, I'd route it below
the car and be done with it.  I called Bob at Brit-Tek, and he told
me that sending the crankcase gases back to the air filter will foul
the carbs, and even sending them back to the manifold will cause
emissions to go up slightly.  Of course, dumping them into the air
below the car technically counts as "emissions", but not the kind the
smog police will ever know about...
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner