Re: Crankcase hose routing

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Crankcase hose routing
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 01:46:03 -0400
Scott Gardner wrote:
> Personally, If I have this mixture of burned/unburned fuel vapors and
> oil mist, and I have the choice between routing it down into the
> airstream under the car or back into the intake, I'd route it below
> the car and be done with it.

  What's the problem? I wouldn't look at it as "dirty", it's
coming out of the engine already. (of course, the same argument
could be used to argue for drinking urine)

  I wouldn't worry about routing it back in. If it's airborne
it's pretty clean in terms of particulates. Vapourous oil
and gasoline burn fairly well. Free mileage!

> the carbs, and even sending them back to the manifold will cause
> emissions to go up slightly.

  I suppose it depends what emissions you are measuring. The
CO measurements might go up, but the HC readings will go
down.

> Of course, dumping them into the air
> below the car technically counts as "emissions", but not the kind the
> smog police will ever know about...

  Depends if you have to pass a visual or not.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada