Main bearing problem

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Main bearing problem
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:58:39 -0400 (EDT)
I tried putting the crankshaft into my 18v engine last night.  The crank
was in good shape according to the shop and only had to be polished.  I
laid in all the main bearing halves, oiled them, set the crank into them
and then tightened down the two smaller bearing caps.  The crank wouldn't
turn.  It was particularly the second cap that seemed to put the brake on
it, but the back was tight also.  I didn't try the other caps after this
setback.

What else can it be but me getting a mismarked set of bearings?  The box
reads "M5207SA/STD for LEYLAND TRUCK/BUS."  They are AE parts.

The two caps in question are stamped 2 and 4 so I don't think I've gotten
them reversed.  As far as I can tell, this is the engine's first rebuild.

John Middlesworth