Re: I think it was preordained....

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: I think it was preordained....
From: mil76@juno.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 11:20:09 EDT
On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:17:25 -0400 Nory@webtv.net (Nory) writes:
>She's ready!  But a 23 year old may not have enough disposable income
>yet (we all know we've spent more on them than they'll ever be worth
>on
>the open market!).  Give her a couple years.

        I agree.  I bought my B 11 years ago when I was 19.  Since it was
my only means of transportation, I had no choice but to try to perform a
rolling restoration, making improvements to the car only when the
mechanical problems and the prince of darkness let up long enough for me
to get a few bucks in the bank.  Now 11 years and roughly $10 grand
later, I have a car that may be worth about $500 dollars more than I paid
for it.  Granted, I have memories from that car that I wouldn't trade for
anything, but I also have the horrible memories:  throwing a rod in the
middle of nowhere on the PA turnpike on a very cold January night, and a
u-joint failing in the middle of "beautiful" North Philadelphia are the
first nightmares to come to mind.
        Many of the older listers were fortunate enough to be able to buy
their lbc's new or only a few years old.  But anyone getting into this
hobby now is looking at a car that is at least 17 years old and probably
not meticulously maintained by a member of this list.  The future of the
hobby is not teenagers or early twentysomethings running out and buying
lbc's as their only means of transportation (although there are more than
a few of them on this list).  It lies in the people around 30 who've
finally paid off their Jettas and Corollas and are now looking at a fun
little second car instead of diving right back into another 20 grand of
debt on a new car.  I see them signing on to this list all of the time.

John Miller
76 MGB (still a 25 footer)