Re: MGB clutch problem: cause?

To: steve chang <schang@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB clutch problem: cause?
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:38:58 -0500
steve chang wrote:

> Hello all,
>         I have a 1968 MGB which just began tgo exhibit a clutch problem.  I
>don't think it's the disc.  What happens is that it is very difficult to
>change gear because it seems as if the plate is not moving far enough off the
>flywheel.  I have bled the hydraulics several times with only tiny
>improvement.  There are no obvious leaks in the master or slave cylinders,
>however.  Anything else this could be?  I suppose I should rebuild the
>cylinders just on principle.  Thanks.

Steve -
        Check the clutch linkage.  The rod in the slave cylinder has a hole in
the end, engages the throwout arm via a pin.  The holes in the rod and
the arm may be egg shaped, corresponding the pin may be reduced in
diameter from the wear.  You can get an amazing amount of slop this
way.  I suppose you could drill the holes to a larger size and install a
new pin, but it's probably best to replace all 3 pieces.

--
Wayne Kube              1979 MGB
Plano, TX               http://web2.airmail.net/wkube