DIY vs. Garage Repairs (Re: It's about time!)

To: "Carol" <car@texas.net>
Subject: DIY vs. Garage Repairs (Re: It's about time!)
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:53:49 -0400
Aye...I've known this for a long time.  It's not the lack expertise that
holds me back most of the time; I can learn.  It's the lack of proper
tooling.  For instance, I plan to rebuild the front suspension this winter
with a Moss coil-over conversion to compliment the Spax I've put on the
rear (ie Lindsay Porter in "MGB - Guide to Purchace and DIY Restoration").
However, in order to do this, I need a compressor & impact gun, and a metal
saw and file (to cut the circles out of the crossmember - sounds scary but
it's really no big deal), and the obvious spring clamps, ball joint
splitters, etc.  None of these do I posses, or have access to.  I intend to
obtain all this stuff eventually, but now I need front suspension (it's
sagging and creaking big time)!!

The mechanic I've been going to is strange.  He really does know his stuff,
but he shortcuts all the time.  I don't understand why someone with the
knowledge and appreciation for these cars would do that, when it's not much
more effort to do it right.  I've seen and driven cars who's suspension's
he's rebuilt (he did the rear end on mine), and his work in that area is
fine.  The only trick with him is, if you want it replaced, and it's not
absolutely necessary, you better tell him, or he won't do it.  I now always
place my own parts orders with him for the work he is to do, just to make
sure he does what I've asked him to.  His prices are also cheap, so I guess
you get what you pay for.  I just bite my nails a bit while he has my car!

Regards,