Re: '59 A with a V8 (horror!)

To: Ain Vale <ainv@rainbow.burnside.powells.com>
Subject: Re: '59 A with a V8 (horror!)
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 16:23:32 -0500
Ain Vale wrote:

> My budget is limited, and I will be doing all the work myself (I have a
> reasonably complete and spacious workshop, and a few years' tinkering
> experience).  So my questions are: should I go for this car, and what
> price should I shoot for?  Information on the interchangeability of A and
> B parts would also be welcome.

Ain't anyone ever tell you that the cheapest restoration is the one that you buy
already restored? Yeah, okay, everyone's a smart ass and I understand that no
one will carry a note on an old, restored 'A'. But, seriously, if you wanna
restore an 'A' to being an 'A' you'll always be better off starting with as
complete a car as you can find.

However, the national 'A' meet was here in Kansas City a few years ago. I milled
though the (comparatively few) cars and saw a real odd one. It took awhile to
figure out what was wrong. The fellow had sawed the car in half, right down the
middle, an added 8 or 9 inches to its width. The car looked 'right' otherwise.
The added width made the addition of Ford Mustang V8 / tranny / and rear end all
the easier. That was a very interesting car!
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"When you inadvertently lock the dog out, she'll shutup when you let'er back in.