Re: LBCs and insurance

To: mrazor@kih.net
Subject: Re: LBCs and insurance
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 19:10:11 -0500
Mike and others:-

See the August/September issue of British Car for a good layman's
explanation of the coverages available for our cars.

Mike, I am very interested in your experiences with USAA on your MGA.  I
use USAA for both my "regular" cars, although I use J.C. Taylor for the
MGA under a collector's, agreed value, policy.

Since I expect to soon acquire a collector car for everyday use, I would
be interested in how they have valued your MGA, if you have a value
established.  According to the above referenced article, the best
available policy to have for a daily driver collector car is a "stated
value" policy ("agreed value" includes mileage and usage restrictions a
la J.C. Taylor).  Did you get one of those for the MGA from USAA?  They
referred me to the "USAA General Agency" for a collector car policy.  Is
this what you have?  I'm not sure it is worth switching my collector car
policy from J.C. Taylor to USAA, what restrictions do they impose?

I think USAA is the best insurance company on the planet, and give them
as much business as I can.  (For the others reading this, sorry, but only
military, ex-military, or children of military are eligible to join
USAA).

BTW, I am no expert when it comes to Jensen-Healeys, but I remember
reading something about them some time back.  Be VERY careful, and
research the marque and the car before you buy.  I remember that some had
a really crappy engine in them, that I think was replaced by a better
engine in later models(?).  I'm talking off the top of my head-- try the
Jensen mailing list at <jensen-cars@british-steel.org> for more info.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX