Re: Opinion on new MG

To: Linda Watson <lwatson@cnx.net>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Opinion on new MG
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:40:32 -0400
Linda Watson wrote:

> Trevor, Trevor!  Have you been in Ottawa too long?  GET OUT OF THERE!  :)

  Heheheh... well at least your response is
polite. I just can't beleive some of the people on this
list though.

  The really brutal analogy I use is that if I was
a racist, nobody would appreciate me "throwing in"
my views along with the MG talk.

  Imagine if I said something like "My MG is
running rich, stalling, and basically running
so bad it isn't fit for a (racial slur)".

  That would cause uprising and thousands of
hate mails. I'm sure I would be kicked off the
list, and rightfully so.

  However, the same people who would kick me off for
that kind of post think it's perfectly fine to viciously
bash cars of other makes or countries of origins. I'm
not talking about friendly competition between MG
and Triumph or whatever, I'm talking about the neverending
bashing of Japanese cars, new cars, you name it.

  We are car enthusiasts, and it is more than a
hobby it is a part of what we are. When somebody
says "MG cars are garbage", it doesn't just insult
my car, it insults ME, because the love of
the cars is a part of me, as it is to all of you.

  What bothers me most is that it's irrelevant to
the list content anyways, it's just "thrown in". If
this was a list about general cars, I would expect to see
some of this. I could be thick skinned and laugh and
throw back a few insults myself.

  But this is a list about MGs, which has nothing to do
with my Toyota or your Honda or anything else for that
matter other than MGs.

  Let's say this was a football discussion list. It would
be totally out of place if I said "Wow, he cost us the
game. The way he fell down on the play was as bad as a damn
stupid MG car breaking down like they always do". If you
came to read about football but happened to own an MG,
that would piss you off. It's stupid, it's rude, and
it's simply not required.

  That's the way I feel. I own and love a Toyota, but
I come here to read about MGs. To have to read about
Toyotas here wastes my time. To read Toyota bashing
on this list is simply ridiculous.

  There are many things in this world that I hate. I don't
think it's my place to speak them all, because somebody
somewhere likes them and it's just plain rude.

  Others should have the same courtesy.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada