Re: Engine stabilizer rod in a '72?

To: gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: Re: Engine stabilizer rod in a '72?
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 08:33:07 EDT
On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 00:01:59 +0000 "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
writes:
>> Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:18:07 -0600
>> From: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
>> Subject: Re: cooling fan for MGB
>>
>> There is supposed to be a engine stabilizer rod on your car.  One
>end is
>> attached to the rear cross member and the other end to the engine.
>This
>> rod is intended to prevent what happened to your radiator. It is
>very
>> common for these to disappear.  I suspect that some mechanics/owners
>> don't see the value in this part and do not reinstall it after doing
>work
>> on the car.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>Larry,
>       Are you sure the '72 model had this stabilizer rod?  I ordered
>the
>rubber pads for it once, only to find it wasn't on my car.  I asked
>around since then, and have reached the conclusion that the '72
>didn't have it from the factory.
>Scott

Larry,
  I think Scott is right. I spent a large part of yesterday under the 72
BGT. It doesn't have the long stud (reversed) on the bell housing that
some models with the stabiliser have, and it doesn't have the hole in the
cross member that other models with the stabilizer have.  Apparently
these cars were supposed to drive or be driven so smoothly that the
engines would be restrained by one vertical pin in the crossmember that
fits into a self-destruction rubber bushing under the gearbox.  Refs:
Haynes, Moss and the Workshop manual.  I'm going to replace all the
rubber bits on the cross member and then see if I can improvise a
stabiliser.