RE: Brake modultaion...help! SOLVED!

To: "'britcars@juno.com'" <britcars@juno.com>
Subject: RE: Brake modultaion...help! SOLVED!
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:30:00 -0700 (PDT)
Part of the problem may be that you don't torque the nut tighter you take
out some shimms that are inserted next to the bearing. To properly setup the
bearing you need a few extra shimms of varied sizes. You look for a
combination that offers no drag but does not allow the hub/disk to wobble or
rock. There is an official procedure and a special measuring tool to do this
setup but I usually just experiment with different combinations of shims
until I get the right setup. You do need to torque the nut but if you have
too many shimms you'll never get it to tighten up. The shimms go between the
inner cone and the bearing. The shimms locate the bearing relative to the
race. A thinner shim will bring the bearing closer to the race making a
tighter fit. Too thin and the bearing will bind. If someone decided to take
out the shims and torque it like an american car would be done you will have
problems. The torqing of the nut only squeezes the inner part of the bearing
(that does not move) between the castleated nut/washer and the cone with
shimms.

Rotors can warp when brakes drag, when you abuse them or typically heat them
up and drive through a deep puddle. You can have them turned. If you do all
this, read your brake pads they will tell you what is going wrong. Any
uneven wear between both pads of a side or pairs from either side are signs
of brake problems. Uneven wear meaning one pad worn more than the other or
worn at an angle.
Chris