Re: Brake modultaion...help! SOLVED!

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Brake modultaion...help! SOLVED!
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:24:29 -0500
Todd Mullins wrote:

> REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER writes:
>
> > [ ... ]  If someone decided to take
> > out the shims and torque it like an american car would be done you will have
>
> > problems. The torqing of the nut only squeezes the inner part of the bearing
>
> > (that does not move) between the castleated nut/washer and the cone with
> > shimms.
>
> This is something that I've never understood about the 'B, and when I
> can't understand something . . . it bugs
> the holy shit out of me.

Then never, ever, consider Holy Matrimony, Todd.

> What possible harm can come from eliminating the shims and the conical
> spacer entirely, and simply tightening the outer bearing until the hub
> spins freely without binding?

I _think_ it has to do with when wheel bearings were constructed of BALL
BEARINGS. They are not so happy about being preloaded from the side. All the
modern bearings I have purchased have been TAPERED ROLLER BEARINGS and, like
you, I tighten them down like an old Chevy, forget about the shims (but leave
the spacer in place) and have never had any problems.

> Anybody got any wisdom on this oh-so-British assembly?

Nope. Just conjecture and experience.--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"I am an equal-opportunity bigot. I only associate with intelligent people."