Re: Coolant Around Spark Plug -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Coolant Around Spark Plug -Reply
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 20 Aug 1997 11:07:09 -0500
In <s3fad81b.097@OFFSMTP.hboc.com>, Matt Kulka wrote:

>>DBHMGB@aol.com wrote:
>> Gotta question.  I'm finding a small amount of coolant puddling at the
>base
>> of spark plug #2 on the 72 BGT.  Can coolant seep from around the
>plugs?
>
>>> "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@worldnet.att.net> 08/17/97 12:42pm
>replied:
>>>   Bad news its probably a cranked head.  Real common on air injected
>>>heads.  The crank is somewhere above #2 and will only leak when
>coolant
>>>is pressurized (hot engine).
>>>

>Maybe not.  I was reading a John Twist article from the Scions of Lucas
>page.  He says "The rule is, all rebuilt B series engines weep between
>the block and head, between the 2nd and 3rd spark plug.  Some actually
>piss."  He remarks that the leak is around the head gasket, not a head
>crack.

If the coolant is puddling around the spark plug, there is no way for
it to get there from a head gasket leak unless you have discovered the
lost lode of upsi-daisium.  Twist is referring to weeps down the side
of the block, not puddling in the spark plug hole.  Sorry, you've got
a cracked head.

                        A. B. Bonds