Re: Mike Lishego's MG insurance question

To: Yumichow@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Mike Lishego's MG insurance question
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:53:11 -0700
Yumichow@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Mike:
> MG technical knowledge I don't have, therefore my daily e-mail tech
> sessions.
>  I'm a Branch Claims Supervisor for Farmers Insurance handling both
> property
> and liability claims.  This situation I've had the unfortunate
> experience of
> handling and denying coverage on all too often.  Many homeowners
> policies are
> the same, from company to company and state to state, as they DO NOT
> cover
> ANY motorized  4 wheeled vehicle capable of being licensed and
> registered for
> street use whether the car has auto insurance or not.  Basically, the
> intent of the
> homeowners policy is to solely cover a home.

It's actually worse than that, I have USAA (actually pretty good
insurance). By the explicit wording in their policy, it doesn't matter
whether it could ever be licensed or not. My homeowners policy says
something to the effect that they don't cover any "wheeled vehicle that
moves under it's own power". That means my Formula Vee was not covered
for liability/theft or anything while it was in my garage. I finally got
them to agree that they should cover my sons quarter midget while it is
in the garage, or locked in the trailer in my driveway, other than that,
no coverage. The funny thing was, they kept suggesting that I had to get
an automobile policy for the above items, but they couldn't explain to
me how they would deal with a 1965 Autodynamics FV or a 1991 Stanly QM.

I was able to trip them up by asking them if my kids electric "big foot"
toy truck is covered (wheeled vehicle moves under it's own power) or an
RC (radio controlled) car is covered (wheeled vehicle moves under it's
own power). They were not able to answer that question with much
certainty. In fact, the way it was left I assume that those items are
not covered, but a bicylcle is (wheeled vehicle, but doesn't move under
it's own power).

I hate it when it so confusing that I just blow it off...

--
John Steczkowski
PSW Technologies, Inc.