Re: FW: Dash light dimmer

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Dash light dimmer
From: rwatson@netpass.com (Ralph Watson)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:52:15 +0000
Chris Delling wrote:

> At 11:30 PM 8/21/97 -0400, G Graham wrote:
> >

> >Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> >
> >Come on, everyone! I've been anxiously waiting for a reply to this one as
> a friend
> >of mine just bought a '79 B that has the same problem. Can't turn it,
> can't pull
> >it, can't push it, too small to use a hammer. We're stumped! Help!
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Gary A. Graham
> >"closing in on a" '74 roadster
> >
> When I bought my 77 B the dimmer rheostat was frozen stiff.  The P.O. had
> jumpered it out of the circuit.  When I saw the cost of the damn things I
> understood why.  A while later, I was at a LBC boneyard, and I happend
> across a very nice dash board.  Since the one in my car was trashed, I aske
> the owner how much.  $50 without instruments.  I proceeded to remove all
> the gauges/switchgear.  Got to the dimmer switch, and even with the dash
> sitting on a bench, we never could get the knob off.  Eventually he told me
> to take the dash with the dimmer.  It's now in the car a working fine, but
> god forbid should I ever have to replace it.  I suspect that you may end up
> having to destroy the knob to get the dimmer out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

You got a hell of a deal.  The switch is $75 from Moss.
What did I do, I went to the junkyard and got a whole rheostat and knob
for $5 from a Dodge C**t and it fits the hole in the dash fine. If you
don't care for the markings paint them out.  If you MUST get yours
apart, I prefer the trusty Dremel tool to pliers (R.I.P. Ray )

Ralph Watson
Shabbiest MG (except for the dash) in Central Florida... and its for
sale!