Re: FW: Dash light dimmer

To: ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu, mikeells@alpha.shianet.org
Subject: Re: FW: Dash light dimmer
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:58:11 EDT
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:30:20 -0400 G Graham
<ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> writes:

>>      Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:20:31 -0400
>>      From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
>>      Subject: Dash light dimmer
>>
>> Can someone tell me how toget a dash light rheostat (dimmer) apart? I
am
>> trying to replace my broken unit, and can't get the knob off the shaft
>> allow it to push through the hole. It has a little button on the
bottom of
>> the knob that looks like it is a press button to push to release the
knob
>> from the shaft. Despite soaking in WD-40. the button won't push, and
the
>> knob won't come loose.
>
>Come on, everyone! I've been anxiously waiting for a reply to this one
as a friend of mine just bought a '79 B that has the same problem. Can't
turn it, can't pull it, can't push it, too small to use a hammer. We're
stumped! Help!

Hi Gary and Mike,

Thought for sure someone would ante this up by now.

The dash knob with the little push button in the bottom of the knob?
That button is attached to a little leaf spring which is attached to the
metal shaft inside.  That metal shaft is part of the switch.  The plastic
knob is just one piece of plastic, nothing else.  The knob has a hole
that fits on the shaft.  That hole has (usually) one flat side to keep
the knob from rotating on the shaft.

To remove the knob, press in on the little metal button and pull the knob
off the shaft.  If the button does not move in, PRESS HARDER.

The button moves in but the knob still doesn't come off?  Press in on the
little metal button and PULL HARDER.  Sometimes they can be pretty tight
after many years on the shaft.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA