Re: FW: Dash light dimmer

To: ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Dash light dimmer
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 06:52:59 EDT
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:30:20 -0400 G Graham
<ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> writes:

>Mark J Bradakis wrote:
>
>>      Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:20:31 -0400
>>      From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@alpha.shianet.org>
>>      Subject: Dash light dimmer
>>
>> Can someone tell me how toget a dash light rheostat (dimmer) apart?
>I am
>> trying to replace my broken unit, and can't get the knob off the
>shaft to
>> allow it to push through the hole. It has a little button on the
>bottom of
>> the knob that looks like it is a press button to push to release the
>knob
>> from the shaft. Despite soaking in WD-40. the button won't push, and
>the
>> knob won't come loose.
>>

>Come on, everyone! I've been anxiously waiting for a reply to this one
>as a friend
>of mine just bought a '79 B that has the same problem. Can't turn it,
>can't pull
>it, can't push it, too small to use a hammer. We're stumped! Help!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Gary A. Graham
>"closing in on a" '74 roadster

The workshop manuaisn't much help with this question. Section N.17 covers
removal of the switch. The manual doesn't, however, tell how to remove
the knob.  It appears in figure Na.3 that the knob will pull off the
switch shaft, though this is not described in the text, and the
illustration applies to cars 294xxx and later.
Bob.