Electric A/C system?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electric A/C system?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:33:32 +0000
The guy that sold me my MGB is selling his 1970 Rover 3500S (see
elsewhere is digest for info), and was telling me that the A/C is an
electric variety, making it kind of hard to have it serviced by
people unfamiliar with it.  Do I take this to mean that the
compressor is driven by an electric motor, rather then from a belt
off of the crankshaft?  I'd never heard of such a beast, not that
that means anything.  It seems like a pretty slick setup, considering
you could use it for cars with cramped engine compartments, as well
as being able to run the A/C with the engine off (at least for short
periods.)  Does anyone know of any other cars that have this kind of
system, or am I misunderstanding what he meant?  Sounds like it could
be a godsend for cars that didn't originally have A/C, since you
wouldn't have to fabricate a bracket for the compressor, or find a
different crankshaft pulley with extra grooves, or worry about
pulley ratios.  Just mount the compressor and evaporator under the
hood in any convenient spot, run the wires and the vents, and you're
set.
Scott