Re: Autocross Heaven (long and slightly boastful)

To: "Kenneth Scott" <KSCOTT@holycross.edu>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Autocross Heaven (long and slightly boastful)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 97 10:40:15 -0400
>Hello,
>       I have read the list for several years, posting rarely, but this
>Sunday I had an experience I just had to  tell someone about.  SCCA held
>an autocross at a local parking lot (central Mass) and I brought Jessica
>(my 77 MGB named after Roger Rabbit's wife) down to see what we
>could do.  There were all kinds of cars there, from the exotic small
>formula types to a Ford ranger pickup and a Jag XJ6 (SCCA runs VERY
>open autocrosses, like 50+ feet between pylons in the slaloms).  There
>was also a Jag XKE V12.  I own an LBC.  I LOVE my LBC.  However, I
>might be tempted by a V12 XKE.
>       After the first run, the Jag V12 was almost 4 seconds ahead of
>me.  At that time I got the absolutely insane idea of beating the V12.  I
>know, fat chance, but the seed was planted.  After the second run, still
>back by almost 4 seconds.  After the third run, back by almost 2
>seconds.
>       Last run, nothing to lose, foot to the floor and pray.  Beat the
>Jag's best time by a quarter of a second.  I HAD DIED AND GONE TO
>HEAVEN!!!!
>       Sure, it was only that day, in that parking lot, on that course BUT
>for this time, at least, an MGB was faster than an XKE V12.  Last run
>was good enough for second in class, first went to an Acura.
>
>Boasting mode off
>Ken Scott
>77 MGB roadster
I know how you feel. Several years ago I had a chance to run in an SCCA
AutoX. I beat a race preped Tri**ph, but got beat by a flaming Pinto ARP
(Also Race Preped). Couldn't ever figure out why my 1500  midget was in
the same class as a 2300 Pinto. Oh well. I still had a blast. Probably
would have beat that Pinto excaept I came in too hot on the last corner
of the second lap, had a serious slide into the corner, barely missed the
pylons , but lost a couple seconds on the time.

Congrats!!

Larry Macy
78 Midget (w/ a second place ribbon)