Re: 4WD MGB

To: Adam Howarth <ahowarth@fl.net.au>
Subject: Re: 4WD MGB
From: Philip <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 97 16:41:22 +0100
Sadly, the John Hill car was an off-roader. There's no accounting for =
taste.

I wouldn't pick a Subaru as a good example of a 4x4 for roadholding. =
The superb Lancia Integrale springs to my mind =AD the best =
roadholding of any car I've ever driven (and that's saying =
something). However, today's perforamance cars are moving away from =
4x4 because they can be just too good to be fun! At least with =
rear-wheel drive you can make the back end break away in a satisfying =
manner :-)

>A 4WD drive B would be the ultimate in traction - thats is presuming that
>it would be race oriented and not off road oriented.
>
>The trans would create more friction, but far more traction. Subaru have
>been at this game for a long time, and if you drive one of their constant
>4WD's in low traction conditions such as rain you will be amazed.
>
>>John Hill MGB Centre built one using Range Rover V8 mechanics in the
>>early 1990s. Daft or wot? It had oversized wheels and sat about 3 feet
>>off the ground. And people say the MGF is too high! There's a picture of
>>it in David Knowles' MGB V8 book.

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk