Re: can't go over 3000 rpm

To: MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: can't go over 3000 rpm
From: Richard Peterson <Rich_and_Kerry@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 23:24:50 -0400
I guess my guess is as good as any at this point, so here goes.  Sorry fo=
the crude analogy, but if it looks like Sh*t, smells like Sh*t and tastes=

like Sh*t, it probably is Sh*t.  This has all the makings of a timing
problem - ie revs without load, but bogs down when the engine is reved up=

under load.  It sounds like you've checked the timing ad infinitum (sp?),=

but I would recommend that you start from scratch:  take the valve cover
off, take the distributor cap off and remove the spark plug from cylinder=

#1.  turn the engine over until it is at TDC on the power stroke for #1,
then set the distributor (dizzy?) until it's in the area of the #1post on=

the cap.  Now back it off a few degrees (counterclockwise) and put it all=

back together.  This should get you close enough to the basic timing
setting that the car should run somewhat normally.  When you check with a=

timing light, you should be close enough to fine tune it.  If you aren't,=

you've got timing chain problems.  You mentioned that your timing marks
were on the 'underside of the engine - I don't understand what you mean b=
this.  Hope this helps, but i wouldn't hold by breath.

Rich Peterson =