Re: can't go over 3000 rpm

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: can't go over 3000 rpm
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:02:21 -0400
Message text written by Richard Peterson
>I guess my guess is as good as any at this point, so here goes.  Sorry f=
or
the crude analogy, but if it looks like Sh*t, smells like Sh*t and tastes=

like Sh*t, it probably is Sh*t.  This has all the makings of a timing
problem - ie revs without load, but bogs down when the engine is reved up=

under load.  It sounds like you've checked the timing ad infinitum (sp?),=

but I would recommend that you start from scratch:  take the valve cover
off, take the distributor cap off and remove the spark plug from cylinder=

#1.  turn the engine over until it is at TDC on the power stroke for #1,
then set the distributor (dizzy?) until it's in the area of the #1post on=

the cap.  Now back it off a few degrees (counterclockwise) and put it all=

back together.  This should get you close enough to the basic timing
setting that the car should run somewhat normally.  When you check with a=

timing light, you should be close enough to fine tune it.  If you aren't,=

you've got timing chain problems.  You mentioned that your timing marks
were on the 'underside of the engine - I don't understand what you mean b=
this.  Hope this helps, but i wouldn't hold by breath.

Rich Peterson =

<

Thanks for the info, Rich.  Let me check the timing the static method and=

I'll let you know how close it is to the dynamic method.
The factory timing prongs are screwed to the bottom of the block   To ali=
gn
these marks to the timing groove on the pulley you therefore have to be
lying on your back with the strobe.  I've made some roughly equivalent
marks  on the block on the uppermost side so that i can stand alongside t=
he
car to watch the strobe and yank on the throttle carb at the same time.

Onward and upward,   Adrian