Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:38:27 -0400
Adrian Jones wrote:

> Well Folks,
>         Here's a new twist to the situation.  I took the valve cover off,
> checked the clearances and watched the valve operation at idle - pretty
> cool if you've never seen it before, BTW.  Anyway it seemed just fine so i
> gave it some gas.  The valves looked like they were working OK but it
> started back firing out of the stinking carbs at me!
>         Now I know the reason is I have been taking another car to work
> with me and Binky is showing her disgust and spitting at me but if anyone
> has a technical reason for this increase in her nastiness to me I would be
> grateful.  I want her back and am prepared to forgive her.
>         I re-checked the timing - 15 BTDC (should be 10 BTDC) and the dwell
> 55 (should be 60 +/- 3)
> The next item that you have given me to check is the possibility of a
> blockage in the exhaust.  I'm saving that for the weekend.
>         What do you think.
>
> Adrian    (Lovelorn in NC)

Adrian,

If you haven't already done this, get a vacuum gauge (inexpensive) and
hook it up to manifold vacuum.  While idling, note what the gauge does
and advise the list.  Rev it up so that the backfiring begins and note
the gauge action.  (When you buy a gauge, it will usually come with a
printed guide to troubleshooting - most useful.)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/