Re: rims,tyres(Ha i typed it that way!) and grnd clearance

To: amesfolks@snovalley.com
Subject: Re: rims,tyres(Ha i typed it that way!) and grnd clearance
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 21:55:25 EDT
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:51:18 -0700 "Palmer Family"
<amesfolks@snovalley.com> writes:
>My 72 Midget has 3" of clearance! Someone put Mag wheels(with grease
>caps
>that say U.S.(ironic ain't it))on my midget and the tyres are 9" wide!
>would like to know the stock tyre size( if you could quick just
>measure and
>give me the diameter in " 's since I don't know sizes.) and the tyre
>width.
>also, clearance??
>
>I am wondering if it is lowered that is why I want this info,
>

>signed,
>BARRY PALMER
>amesfolks@snovalley.com

Barry,
  The original tyres (I type it that way too), were 145 X 13.  The rim
(Rostyle) is 4 inches wide and 13" in diameter.
  Most of us have gone to a modern profile tire, usually in the area of
165/70 X 13. which as about the same OD as the original.
  3 inches of ground clearance ain't a whole lot.  I know a couple of
agressive speed bumps in the local  neighborhood that you may not get
past!
  You might want to check to see if someone has replaced the front coil
springs with shorter ones and/or installed "lowering blocks" on the rear.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget