Re: Rubber Bushing Lub

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rubber Bushing Lub
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 09:03:38 EDT
Hi Mike,
 I wouldn't use motor oil for this purpose, as one doesn't know in
advance if it will
affect the rubber bushings.  For some reason, unknown to me, motor oil
will slowly dissolve motor mounts....
  Used motor oil contains some things believed to be nasty and hard on
lab rats. What we need in this country is Better Lab  Rats.  More
seriously, the oil may contain leak and wear evidence, such as
antifreeze, tin, lead, copper, etc.  Operators of serious equipment such
as aircraft engines, locomotives, trucks and busses take a sample of the
used oil and send it to a lab for analysis. Costs about $15 I think.  The
lab then reports on their findings. Antifreeze is from a leak. Lead,
copper, bronze and tin are from bearings, and so on.  The big operators
keep records showing the findings at each oil drain, and will schedule
their bearing changes and tear-downs at a time when the wear (hence more
of xxx in the oil) reveals an increasing rate of wear.  Many of these
operators change oil at intervals that we car drivers would consider way
too long, but if they are testing the used oil they have a rational basis
for their action.
  This idea piques my curiosity. If I can get more info on one of the
testing services, I'll post the infomation to the list.
Bob