Re: Rubber Bushing Lub

To: "Richard A. Boris" <borisri@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Rubber Bushing Lub
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:12:52 -0500
Richard A. Boris wrote:

> Hi Everyone:
>
> Need some pointers regarding lubrication for rubber bushings. I had a
> devil of a time removing the rear spring front bolts from the car. One
> bolt had to be sawed off. Any suggestions for a lub when I replace the
> new springs and rubber bushings.

Watching the  threads, I agree that motor oil and rubber bushings are not very
compatible. On the other hand, if your motor was leaking the proper amount of
oil then the resulting spray would have protected the area. I know it's hard to
get the proper fan pattern to protect both the ujoints and the rear spring
shackles. It is a trail and error affair with the pan bolts.

I also had to cut off the bolts when removing the leaf springs from the front
hangers. At the time I thought the bushings would came out of the spring okay
but the inner metal sleeve of the rubber bushing would rust itself to the bolt
-- thus require cutting.

For me, I use silicon spray to ease installation of rubber bits but use
anti-seaze for metal-to-metal contact. I figure the silicon will go away with
age but a smear of anti-seaze seems to last forever. The stuff comes in small
tubes at the auto stores that sell Permatex gasket sealers and such.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"If you do it right the first time nobody will appreciate how difficult it was."