Chrysler/Rover/BMW merger?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Chrysler/Rover/BMW merger?
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 14:53:26 -0600
Fellow listers, some time back there was a tread on the possibility that
Chrysler and BMW/Rover would merge.  A great deal of the tread dealt with
the MGF if a merger would make it available in the US.  I ran across a
news article on the internet that would indicate a merger is not going to
happen.   This information was found on the Detroit Free Press Home page
(http://www.freep.com/adframes/home.shtml).  Portions of the article
follow.

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
September 5, 1997

Chrysler CEO Robert Eaton has heard the rumors and wants to set the
record straight.

"There has never been any discussion or plan, and I don't expect a merger
of any kind," the frank-speaking CEO said Friday at a launch party here
for the new Dodge Durango sport-utility vehicle.

"We have no plans to buy BMW or Fiat -- not a plant, not a segment, not a
nothing."

The latest round of rumors surrounding the No. 3 automaker surfaced last
week in London, when a British automotive enthusiast magazine suggested
that Chrysler was considering buying the carmaking operations of Rover
Group Ltd.

There's another reason for the BMW rumor:

Chrysler announced in October 1996 it would form a joint venture with BMW
to build an engine plant in Brazil. The plant will open as soon as 1998.
Eaton and other Chrysler executives said Friday that they have regular
meetings with BMW officials to discuss progress in Brazil, but the
meetings have not escalated to talks of mergers.

"We have never talked beyond the South American plant," Eaton said.