Re: Technical Questions

To: Teacher122@aol.com
Subject: Re: Technical Questions
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:25:53 EDT
Hi Tom,
 Our engines are pretty loose by modern engineering standards, so the
thicker oils sort of fill in the gaps, providing a thicker surface film.
These newer engines really are remarkable.  Wonder what oil is
recommended for the MGF?
 Much concern exists over the dry starts from oil dripping off rubbing
surfaces. My practice for years is, if the engine hasn't run in a week or
so,  to spin the TD engine with the starter until pressure registers on
the gauge, then to turn on the ignition and start it up.  This May, I
removed the sump from the engine, which had not run since December. I
found oil drops clinging to everything-pistons, cylinders, rods, etc, and
there was a good slippery film on the cylinder walls.  Perhaps without
reason, I had been expecting to find dry surfaces, but they were not.
  10-40 is looked on with suspicion by many, for the reason that the
viscosity index improving chemicals are said to break down more rapidly
than on 10-30.  I would use the 10-30 if starting and driving in 32
degree weather, and would stick with the 20-50 for summertime use. The
workshop manual recommends it, so one supposes that it was the right
grade for England, where temps never get very high.
  BTW, many light airplane engines use straight 50. If dry starts are a
problem, they must have metal filings puffing out the exhaust after a
week in the hangar.
  Perhaps someone who knows more about oil chemistry can tell us more.
Bob