MGC Motors, Part II

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGC Motors, Part II
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:05:49 +0100
For the 3 people who care...

The C/GT is now resting comfortably on life support and the the big six
and tranny are lounging on the garage floor oozing various fluids.

(Atta boys graciously accepted.)

It was really simple. Here's the big clue: Proper tools. I had begged a
fine cherry picker engine hoist and an adjustable dangle engine sling.
The sling has four 'L' straps on chains that bolted to the head bolts
along the rocker shaft and along side the intakes. (Yes, Virginia, you
do have to remove the valve cover.) Using the adjustable angle, with the
car on four stands and tilting nose down, and an experienced helper, it
went out easy as you please. Cool.

Now I will accept recommendations for clutch brands/vendors, synchros,
and tranny rebuild kits (The point of this project). And I suppose I
might even buy me a couple cans of Jet-Hot for the exhaust manifolds.

The engine has been carrying 50 pounds of oil so I may leave the bottom
end alone but, OTOH, the rear engine seal has been the primary rust
preventive for the tranny tunnel and vicinity. BTA, I did glue on that
vibration dampner and pulley a while back and I ain't to anxious to try
to undo that just right now. As for the top end, maybe a "Grapes of
Wrath" valve job may be in the offing.

Finally, remember my story of Whoa when the oil filler neck and cap for
the valve cover had dislodged and went AWOL (and got no useful advice)?
It was resting comfortably in the cleavage of the dual exhaust pipes
down near the tranny.

Life is good. Now where did I put those catalogs?
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"However, I must agree with Bob Allen" -- Larry Unger, Sept. 15, 1997