Re: 76 MG-B

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <HGlenBetts@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 76 MG-B
From: "JedPiper" <JedPiper@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:55:16 -0500
Glen -

Glad you resolved your clutch problem.  Now about that Z.S. carb:

The fact that your car won't rev above 2200 rpm would indicate that you've
got a torn or poorly seated carb diaphragm.  The diaphragm is located
within the suction chamber and must be seated perfectly in the grove on the
piston and perfectly in the recess on the carb body.  If the diaphragm is
not properly seated and/or torn or cracked, you will never rev much above
2000 rpm.  The good news; a new diaphragm will only cost about $4.00 and
will only take about 30 minutes to install.

If you intend to keep this car you might also consider a complete overhaul
of the ZS to include new springs, seals, float and needle.  You should also
invest in a good service manual or two, i.e., a Haynes Carburetor Manual or
MG workshop manual.

My experience with the Stormberg on my 76B was poor at best.  After about a
year of tinkering, rebuilding and refining I finally gave up and purchased
a Weber DGV kit.  5 years and 40k later, the DGV is still performing
flawlessly.
I realize that you may not be ready to take such a drastic step, but it is
certainly something to keep in mind.  I have met very few post 74.5 B
owners who are satisfied with the performance of their B with the stock
Z.S..
Also, if you've got a big, fat wallet ($900.00 or so) you could do a  twin
SU's conversion, but as I have no experience with that set up, I can't
offer any advice.

Good luck,

Jed Piper
76B