Re: More "Grapes of Wrath"

To: barneymg@juno.com
Subject: Re: More "Grapes of Wrath"
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:29:03 EDT
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:04:57 EDT barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
writes:

>On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 06:46:04 -0700 pat bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
>writes:
>
>>My Dad was great at that kind of stuff,he told me once broke a spark
>plug on a model T when he was young in the depression and fashioned
>one out of  a corncob and piece of wire!
>
>I LOVE IT !!!  This is stuff that gets my adrenalyn flowing.  I'm
>starting a GRAPES file.  Anyone else do wierd and creative things to
>keep their car going?  Please limit the topic to things that might be
>of benefit to one of our LBCs..  Here's another one to keep the ball
>rolling.
>
>A few days ago my daughter's car died on the street.  The center
>contact had fallen out of the Inside of the dizzy cap.  I used a blade
>of grass as a shim to hold the contact in the cap, put it back on,
>fired right up, got it to the parts store.
>
>?????,
>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA with an attitude
It never happened to me, but I've heard and read about it so much there
must be a grain of truth in the story.
 During WWII, there was apparently a regulation that when you parked your
car, it was to be disabled ( to avoid the invading Nazis from utilizing
the vehicle). The most popular way was to remove the rotor button.
Needless to say, this led to a bunch of lost rotor buttons.  The AA
scouts carried a cork and needle which could be fashioned into a
make-shift rotor button to get the unfortunate motorists home.  Some
drivers took to keeping a needle and cork in the tool kit in case the
inevitable happened.
  Interesting  side-bar if that's what happened.
  How about it, you guys on the eastern side of the Atlantic Pond?, can
anybody verify whether this is factual, semi- factual or plain old
fiction?

 While on the same subject, I had a fuel pump fail once while more miles
from home than I cared about. Pulled the cover off and discovered the
points had welded themselves together. I recalled a tip I had seen in an
article many moons ago, and pulled the hazard flasher and cobbled it
inline with the pump power lead. Clicked lots slower than the pump
normally did, but by holding the speed down, it got me back home.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget