Re: Enlightening Flywheels

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Enlightening Flywheels
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:27:07 -0700
Robert Allen wrote:
> So again, how light is light? Well, I think the C/GT flywheel has
> already been lightened.

Well Bob,
        When I had my first MGB engine apart, I took the flywheel into the
machine
shop with the same question in mind.  Someone recommended getting an aluminum
wheel
to me, but I ccould never find one.  When I went to the shop, the said that
maybe
four or five pounds for my 4-cyl. engine.  It would cost me about $80 or so,
but they
also told me _not_ to do it.  They had problems with flywheels shattering, or
in one
frightening case, the flywheel tore lose of the engine and ripped out the side
of the
tranny and thru the car!  No one was hurt, but they told me that they'll really
only
recommend that type of modification for a drag racer.  For your CGT, I'm not
really
sure, but you might want to try to find an aluminum flywheel.  That's what the
machine shop recommended to me.  I hope this helps...

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College