Re: Enlightening Flywheels

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Enlightening Flywheels
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:30:54 -0700
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Robert Allen wrote:
> > But then the weight of the flywheel is added. I weighed my flywheel and
> > it comes in at 22 pounds (plus 13 for the clutch housing) so that is
> > about 35 pounds not effected by the engine gearing:
>
>   I don't think it can really be seen as this simple.
>
>   You aren't accelerating it from point A along vector V, so
> it's not it's weight that matters.

Actually, I forgot to mention this in my last flywheel related post.  I was
under the
impression that a lighter flywheel would give me quicker acceleration, but my
machine
shop told me that I could expect higher RPMs in less time.  Of course, I
guessed that
a quicker-revving engine would translate into more acceleration, but like
Trevor
said, it's probably more than that.

--
Michael S. Lishego