Re: pvc/gulp valves and webers

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: pvc/gulp valves and webers
From: "Paul C. McGinty" <pablito@io.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 12:20:20 -0500
I've been following along on the thread about PCV valves and rear seal
leaks. I have a couple of questions.

I bought my 1979 MGB in June. It has been "desmogged" and has a weber
DGV carb, both done by the PO. There does't seem to be anything listed
in the manual that says PCV valve. In a British Manual would it have
another name? There is a hose that runs from the front of the tappet
cover to the air filter on the Weber. This appears to be what the
Bentley manual describes as the oil separator/flame trap. With the
emmision control equipment removed should there be a PCV valve on the
car and should it be installed in this hose? And finally, the reason
I've been so interested in this thread is that I am leaking significant
amounts of oil from the rear seal. If this is due to excessive pressure
within the crankcase would this be reflected on my oil pressure. I
currently run around 80 lbs/square inch when the engine is cold. The car
has 85,000 miles on it and I assume the engine has never been rebuilt.

I have been planning to pull the engine to replace the rear seal but
will be happy to postpone that if anyone thinks it may not be necessary.

Thanks in advance

Paul Buls
'79 MGB Roadster
'66 Ford F-100