Re: pvc/gulp valves and webers

To: pablito@io.com, ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: pvc/gulp valves and webers
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:12:26 -0400 (EDT)
>  Paul wrote asking about 1979 pcv valves.
Paul,

     MY 79 B has been desmogged.  The crankcase ventilation is handled in
this manner.  A hose runs from the front side cover into the base of the ZS
carb and hopefully is drawing the blow-by into the manifold.  Another hose
runs from the top back of the valve cover to one of the carbon canisters.
 The neck on the back of the valve cover has a small opening through which
fresh air is introduced.  By this opening being smaller. a vacuum is produced
within the engine.  The PO had installed a vented oil fill cap which was
intended for earlier models.   I  suppose that it could be possible that your
 "intake air" part of your system(on the back of the valve cover-see above)
could be blocked or nonexistent and this might cause pressure to build within
your engine, but I'm betting that it is time for that new rear seal.  Plan on
replacing your clutch system, front transmission seal and the front
transmission gasket while you have the engine out.  Good Luck!

Tom Green
1979 MGB
 p.s.    And, just like there is no tooth fairy, there is also no pvc valve
on your car.  Let the experts chime in!

Tom Green
1979 MGB