Re: 1500 Bottom End Rebuild

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: 1500 Bottom End Rebuild
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 23:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
Adrian,
do it now, before the "death rattle" at startup develops.  For the record,
my buddy changed the rod bearings on his Spit 1500, the death rattle
remained even though the crank didn't look too bad.  Changing out rod and
main bearings now might be the ticket.

Ulix (lots of rattles, none terminal)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Adrian Jones wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>         Well, it's time to bite the big one and put new big end bearings in
> my 1500 Midget.  Or is it??!!
>
>         There is no unusual sound from the engine at start up or any other
> time.  The oil pressure, however, is a little worrying. It starts off about
> 60 or 70 and gradually decreases to about 20 when  cruising around town.
> At idle, it goes down to about 9 or 10.  Once, when it was idling about 500
> rpm it actually went down to about 5 psi.
>
>         If  a rebuild is advisable, the shopping list includes a set of rod
> bearing, set of main bearings, new con rod bolts, thrust washer set and, of
> course, the oil pan gasket.  Anything missing?
>
>         My long suffering wife has been told that there's just a couple of
> more things that need to be done, so it would be nice if this (major, for
> me at least) operation went smoothly.
>
> TIA,   Adrian

                                                           '67 Sprite