Re: No play Splines

To: "Carol" <car@texas.net>, "terry bettinger" <tbett@tir.com>,
Subject: Re: No play Splines
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 97 11:40:47 -0400
>At 05:34 PM 9/23/97 -0400, terry bettinger wrote:
>>Carol,
>>    I once heard of a fellow who had loose rear splines on his midget
>>from years of heavy use. To solve the problem, he laid the car on its
>>side and poured hot babbit material into the worn splines filling the
>>gaps and making everything tight again. I thought sense you own a
>>midget, this info might come in handy if yours ever wears out.
>
>Thanks for the tip, Terry! I may resort to it in 20 years or so when the
>new wires and hubs begin to wear... on the MGA!
>
>As Art says: Proximate, but no panatella!
>
>No midgets here. Maybe you're thinking of Susan. She stands on her toes on
>the floorboards to change out the lights on the tach face! :-)
>
>Now, I will ask (and lordy, I hope I'm not walking into another word trap!)
>what "babbit material" is...
>
>Carol
Somebody will probably correct me here but it is either
1 The aluminum type material on the inside of a main, con rod, or cam
bearing that the journal rides against (The turning part)

Or

2) Something that looks like a hot dog that when recovered in a field and
reattached makes you a film star. (your'e not eligable altough with a
little silicone ....)

Larry Macy
78 Midget