True or false new problem

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com, boballen@sky.net
Subject: True or false new problem
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:36:00 +0100
Debbie wrote:

>>>So,  Now what's wrong is I can't get it into gear when it's running.  If
the engine is off I can get it into 3rd or 4th but that's it.  Last
night it worked perfectly.  Where do I start?

Debbie
79B w/od switch

"Single woman w/ MG seeks man with tools...send picture of tools..."<<<

Sounds to me like it could be the seal in the clutch slave cylinder - or
the hose leading to it - may have gone - check the clutch reservoir, and
see if (i) the fluid is black and gungy and/or (ii) the level has
dropped. The clutch slave cylinder is attached to the side of the
transmission; if it is leaking, you may be able to see fluid dripping.
Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times and see if it gets easier -
implying lack of fluid and fall-off in pressure. If that is all the
trouble is, the job is simple and the costs not very great - I know, it
just happened on my MGB GT V8, in the middle of nowhere, without the
relevant spares I needed (I've learnt my lesson - a spare seal kit is
now in the glovebox).

DAVID KNOWLES

"No catchpharse yet - but I'm working on it"