Re: Clutch

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: Clutch
From: "Craig H. Brallier" <brallier@twd.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 09:33:17 -0700
Jeff Boatright wrote:

> My clutch seems to be releasing just as I bring my foot back from the full
> extension of the pedal travel (that is, the gear seems to be fully engaged
> almost as soon as I begin to pull my foot back from the firewall). I've
> just installed a new clutch line and bled the system. Prior to this, the
> engaging of the gear was much smoother and seemed to require much more
> pedal travel. Could this new "feel" be due to air in the lines? Conversely,
> is the new feel the proper situtation, meaning that the old feel was due to
> air in the lines or all the crud in the MC that I cleaned out?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff

> Jeff Boatright          __o_\__            '65(!) A-H Sprite
> http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html

Jeff,
My 75 B acts the same way.  The clutch starts engaging almost as soon as
you release the pedal.  I tried bleeding the slave cylinder but that
didn't make any difference.  So I have been assuming it was the throwout
bearing going and figured I would replace it when I could no longer shift
the transmission.

Then a new problem.  Brake fluid leaking out of the clutch master
cylinder on my foot.  So a new master cylinder is on the schedule.
Hopefully this will cure both problems.

Craig
75 B - with wet left foot
76 B